Sunday, June 1, 2014

Desert Botanical Garden: Part II

As I made my way east through the Arizona desert I stopped at the Desert Botanical Garden full of wonderful spiky creatures like this classic looking saguaro.



You can see the first part of my visit at Desert Botanical Garden: Part I. This is an amazing garden with the added bonus of Chihuly glass art, Chihuly in the Gardenwhich adds beautiful form throughout like these red glass spikes.



Pachycereus weberi - ‘Candelabro’




Agave schidigera - ‘Durango Delight’ 



Agave perryi - ‘Parry’s Agave’




Agave attenuata - ‘Foxtail/Lion’s Tail’




Agave victoriae-reginae - ‘Queen Victoria Agave’




Mariosousa willardiana - ‘Palo Blanco’





Red and yellow Chihuly glass tree or maybe yucca?



Yucca faxoniana - ‘Spanish Bayonet’



Yucca rigid - ‘Blue Yucca’ with beautiful uniform spikes.




Lophocereus schottii var. schottii - ‘Senita’ with fruit and a perched flyer, possibly a curve-billed thrasher.







These Chihuly glass shapes contrast and compliment their spiky upright companions.





Fouquieria columnaris - ‘Boojum Tree’





Aloe molederana from Somalia




Aloe globuligemma - ‘Witchdoctor’s Aloe’ from South Africa and Zimbabwe.




Stenocereus alamosensis - ‘Octopus Cactus’




More Chihuly glass reminds me of Parry's Agave.




This red ball of glass reminds me of the sun.



For more information on the Desert Botanical Gardens click here.

Join me next time as I visit the Thomas Edison and Henry Ford Winter Estates in Fort Myers, Florida where the two entrepreneurs wintered and researched various types of ficus trees to create a domestic source of rubber.



No comments:

Post a Comment