Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Andrew's Garden June 9


A month ago I planted Andrew’s Garden using his established herbs creating an edible garden.



Unfortunately, as often happens in gardening, tragedy struck. In this case, I killed three of the plants: the two rosemary shrubs and the oregano. I believe not enough soil was captured around the root system when I transplanted them. Luckily, there is a garden center nearby ready to sell replenishment herbs.

I planted six new herbs: two French tarragon (I meant one to be oregano), a lemon verbena, rosemary and parsley. I also transplanted the pansies from their pots on Andrew’s Porch, since they had bolted and looked leggy. I used the pansies to establish a border along the bottom edge of the edible garden.



Here is a closer look at the garden’s progress.

Nasturtium with orange edible blossoms, lavender, calendula with yellow edible flowers and the new herbs: rosemary (center right) and French tarragon (lower right).



French Tarragon



Rosemary



Calendula



Mint



Parsley



Strawberry



I cut the pansies back so that they will bloom again, though with the hot weather their blooms will be smaller.



And the asparagus root. I hear it takes several seasons to produce stalks.


No comments:

Post a Comment