Friday, August 16, 2013

Ladybugs Attack! Part 2


In Ladybugs Attack! Part 1, my roommate Andrew and I released a bag of them to help control an aphid infestation in his garden. That was successful and when I discovered aphids in Alan’s garden, on the honeysuckle and verbena, I knew what to do.



I spread the ladybugs throughout the garden and they went to work.

On the honeysuckle.






I spread them on every plant to broaden their territory. In the impatiens.



In the astilbe.



After spreading them throughout the garden I left the rest in the bag in the final pot, which contained the infested verbena.




Dinner time!



The red cordyline in this pot made a great launching pad.



And a great place for other business.



I’m not in Alan’s garden often, but do check on the progress of his garden. I was delightedly surprised when I found this ladybug larva on July 25, nearly 1 month later. My phone camera had trouble focusing on the critter.



There is a better picture of a ladybug larva at Savvy Housekeeping. It is described as a cross between an alligator and an accordion.

On a later visit I discovered this ladybug on the potato vine on Aug 11.



________

Before I launched the ladybugs, I made some improvements to Alan’s garden. I had mentioned in Alan’s Front Yard June 26 there were some plants that needed replacing or removal.

I had planted two cala lilies with the astilbe, sometimes plants look better in threes, but they were yellowing.



In this case the astilbe is a showstopper on its own.



I also didn’t like the ‘Hot Lips’ salvia I had planted. Their position behind the tall shrubs and in between flushing of their red and white blooms they were hard to spot.



I planted these two perennials that grow tall with spectacular blooms; 'Fire Ball' bee balm and ‘Lucifer’ crocosmia.





They can be seen from the street and will come back next year even more stunning.


No comments:

Post a Comment